In today’s data driven retail, one factor is often overlooked: The shopper. That person who is responsible for the wages of all retail professionals at the end of the day.
And no matter how long the media and politicians fuel uncertainty, the nations pets will still need feeding, grooming, caring for and loving.
Shoppers and their pets: An opportunity not to be missed
- 56% of UK consumers own a pet
- The Pet Care market in UK is worth £5bn
- Pet Food sector alone is worth £2.6bn
The Pet Care category is one of those rare FMCG product groups that shoppers want to spend time shopping. Provide them with an emotionally engaging retail environment, combined with the right ranges of products and they will be loyal and faithful, just like their pets.
But present shoppers with a Pet Care category that looks unloved, and that fails to connect and you’re just being ‘cruel’.
We have studied the Pet Care category a number of times over the years and have helped both brands and retailers to optimise their offering and to become more shopper oriented.
Primary FTG Client Goal
- Deliver a Pet Care Category that emotionally engages shoppers & generates sustainable growth
- Increase the number of shoppers who visit the Pet Care aisle in-store
- Improve conversion rates: The numbers of shoppers visiting Pet Care that purchase
- Drive up weights of sale, through providing adjacencies and ranges of Pet Care products that are relevant and emotionally appealing to shoppers
- Become more of a preferred destination for more shoppers more of the time
- Altering sub-category adjacency locations simplified purchasing for shoppers and helped increase sales of a specific sub-category sales by 14%
- Offering shoppers more emotional graphics as signposts to the core category drove up footfall significantly
- Provide shoppers with the product information and emotional engagement they need and their enjoyment of shopping Pet Cart increased by 34%
The insights and actions generated were proven to be equally successful in most UK supermarket chains, as well as in specialist Pet outlets and C stores
The Pet Care category offers brands and retailers the opportunity to emotionally connect with shoppers. What’s more there’s no need to invest on any expensive long-term strategic process. We already know what these shoppers really want and need in-store from this category.
Think of just about the Pet Care category from the perspective of Marginal Gains: Many small improvements and shopper oriented enhancements will deliver a dramatically better Category offering, not just for shoppers, but for retailers and brands too.